Beating the drum of compliance and documentation is common amongst many safety managers however its simply not effective and here’s why:
1. Compliance management does not mean risks are controlled. The best-managed companies understand that approximately 20% of the work they do gives rise to 80% of their credible risk. They focus on the 20% until it’s well controlled.
2. Paperwork does not identify and control hazards; coaching employees to perceive hazards and fully understand their impact on overall operations and building a safety culture does. (Neuroscience fact: hazard perception is learned).
3. Documentation does not mean employees are trained. Though a common practice, workers reading and signing off on a Safe Work Procedure is not defensible in court (as training).
4. Forcing compliance naturally creates resistance. As per Newton’s 3rd law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
5. Compliance and documentation is a BY-PRODUCT of effectively identifying and managing the Company’s most credible risks through effective management systems the driver overall performance and profitability.
Is your workplace safety management more WORK than a key driver of your business performance?
Schedule a no-obligation 60 min consult with us. Together you will identify your biggest roadblocks and create a roadmap to success.
Looking to improve and automate your Workplace Safety Management? Get started for FREE today here!
Ask about programming and pricing exclusive to ECAM members!